Monday, December 9, 2013

Second Monday in Advent

I never thought about the Lord's Prayer being an Advent prayer until my friend and colleague Tom mentioned it. But I think he is right, for the prayer is about waiting for God's Kingdom/Kindom to come on earth as in heaven. We are caught between the times, and yet invited to participate in the work of the Kingdom/Kindom; just as we are during Advent.
The Lord's Prayer (or Our Father)
Our Father who art in heaven,
     Hollowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come,
     Thy will be done
          on earth as in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
     As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
     But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
     and the power,
          And the glory, forever.
Amen.
During this time of Advent (and always) when we await the coming of the Prince of Peace, it is good to reflect upon how we live our lives. Do we live our lives in a way that promotes peace and a kingdom/kindom of peace, or do we live our lives in ways that promote violence and injustice? If you are like me, it is probably a combination of both. Which of course begs reflection: How do I change so that my life promotes peace?
I also appreciate Tom's continual reflection with me that one of the greatest temptations of our times is expediency, for with expediency often comes violence. Maybe expediency is violence. Definitely something worth pondering. When we are in a rush, do we pay attention to how our actions or what we want may promote injustice? In my experience, it is often more work at the beginning (and less later on) when I'm not caught in trying to be expedient. So why is it that I don't always follow what I know?
Of course, peace does not equate with lack of conflict. Conflict is a part of life, it is how we respond to conflict that makes a difference. Are we continuing to pursue justice tempered with compassion? Do we ignore injustice for an easier action?
Blessed Be as you search out how to follow the Prince of Peace
Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment