Friday, March 2, 2012

Who Do We Say We Are?: Lent 2, 2012

Who are we? Is that different from who we say we are? Is that different from what others say we are?

If we go solely with what we do, then this lunch hour I was added weight - literally. [The marina has been replacing sections of dock, and as I was walking down the main dock, five guys were standing on a finger section trying to get it weighed down so they could attach it firmly to the main dock. They needed some one else.] I was also a clothes delivery person. [As a Special Ed Pre-School teacher, my wife was on the receiving end of bile this morning. So I got a call, "Help. Please bring a clean shirt!"] Or what about those advertisements we are confronted with when ever we open the paper, turn on the radio or watch TV, as if consumers is all we are.

But we all know that this isn't just who we are. We are more.

Do you notice the "I Am" in the question? "I Am" is another name for God, coming from Moses and the burning bush story: Moses asks, "What is your name? What shall I tell the people when they ask who sent me?" ... "I Am Who I Am."

The danger, of course, is that we domesticate God by putting our images of ourselves onto God.

 Jesus wrestles with such questions about identity this coming Sunday (See Mark 8: 31-38): Who do others say that I am? Who do you say that I am?

When do we find time to reflect upon such things? At sea, during the night watch? One can hope. Sometimes this is the case. But sometimes, the best time might just be in the middle of rush hour traffic.

Here's Dr. Peter H. Strykers take on it, after a solo crossing from California to Hawaii:
Some people (guess who among them) started this solo sail hoping and expecting to find clarity in some of their soul searching. The solo sailor is either too busy, too tired, or too elated to do any meditating. A drive during rush hour in an automatic automobile is probably more appropriate for meditating. There is a situation where there is nothing on can do. Turn off the radio and that is the time to meditate. For many of us civilized western people it is the only time that we have no piped-in music or bosses, wives, [does this mean husbands are not a distraction?] children, telephone, singing birds, or beautiful nature, food, drinks, exercises, set, etc. to distract us. The only thing we have to do is steer the car. That is enough distraction to create an atmosphere for meditating. To have to concentrate on meditating can be in itself very distracting. There are some people who even want to take that single moment of tranquility away from us and who advise such things as "share a ride" or increased public transportation. Let's do the meditating or soul-searching behind our two hundred horse-power, but do not single-hand to Hawaii for your answers! Anyway, I am not going to talk into this tape recorder about my soul. That is my private business as long as I'm alone on my boat."* (Peter H. Strykers, M.D. The Floating Harpsichord: One Sailor's Log and Manuals for Solo-Sailing and Solo-Medicine. Ten Speed Press, 1987. p. 164)

Where ever your schedule, may you find time to reflect on how much a beloved child of God you are.

Blessed Be

Joel

___
*Stryker's middle section of his book is a daily log that he edited from spoken tapes (and yes, he did take a harpsichord and play it on the passage. I think this section gives you an idea of how delightful this book is to read). I think the above quote says that he probably did some more soul searching than he thought, but not as much as he wanted. It is interesting to note that Bernard Moitessier seems to have done a lot of it during the Long Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment