Monday, May 5, 2014

Thinking About Baptism

This reflection doesn't necessarily fit the Lectionary this week. However, I've been thinking about baptism, and my own theological understanding of baptism as of this week, knowing our understanding of non-understandable things change with time. In part, this reflective process had been spurred on by our son's mentoring/coming of age/confirmation process in which each student is asked to create their own creedal statement. As this is something we should all be reflecting upon from time to time, I've been reflecting upon it, too. (In my experience, as our faith matures so do our theological understandings.)
Thinking about community has also impacted my reflections. I'll share more on this on Wednesday.
In addition, I found myself pondering if I should be Pledging my Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America while representing the clergy "office" at the local yacht club's Opening Day Ceremony on Saturday.
Baptism brings us into a community, of course, a great community called the church, the body of Christ. I should note, in passing, that the church as the Body of Christ and the church the Institution (ala various denominations, etc.) often work hand in hand, and at other times, unfortunately, at odds with each other.
As such, my current thinking is along the lines of "citizenship." We become (or are reminded, really that we are) citizens of the Body of Christ, the Kingdom/Kindom of God. Hence, we are dual citizens: 1. The Kingdom/Kindom and 2. the nation to which we belong. Or are we?
I've wondered then if baptism is also in some ways an inoculation against the threats to the Kingdom/Kindom, threats that sometimes come from the various forms Empire takes (unjust economic systems, etc.).
To carry the metaphor further, some of us receive citizenship at birth, choosing how to live this out later in life. Others of us choose how to live this out when we are later in life, and decide to become citizens.
Anyway, just some rainy Monday reflections as I've been challenged to re-think/ponder where I am at this theological moment in time.
Where do you happen to be?
Blessed be,
Joel

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting thought- I don't think I've ever thought of myself as having duel citizenship.

    ReplyDelete