Friday, November 30, 2012

Theological Friday: Reflections for the 1st Sunday in Advent

Lectionary Readings for 1st Sunday in Advent: Jeremiah 33:14-16; Psalm 25:1-10; 1 Thessalonians 3:9-13; Luke 21:25-36.

The following is not so much a sermon as just thoughts on the first Sunday in Advent and Advent in general. This is more how I start to think about sermons, the kinds of things that run through my mind during my sermon preparations, than an actual sermon.

Advent is the time of preparing, "Preparing the way of the Lord," but not just in terms of Christ's birth - which is the surprise. We just happen to know the surprise, like knowing what's in the present under the Christmas tree. Advent is as much about the coming Kingdom of God, as it is Christ's coming (birth and 2nd coming).
We live between the times: the Now and the Not Yet. I'm influenced here by J. Paul Sampley's work on understanding Paul's theology. Christ ushered in the Kingdom of God with his birth, but the old "worldly kingdom" has yet to pass away. We then live (as Augustine would say) between the two kingdoms.
I think these readings remind us of that, especially the one from Luke foretelling the ending of the Kingdom of this world.

By the way, I'm intentionally using "Kingdom" rather than "Kin-dom." I wish there were a more gender neutral term for the political connotations of Kingdom, but I'm not so sure there is in the English language. But I do believe politics is at play.

We are invited to work for Christ's/God's Kingdom. The Kingdom is near, it is at hand. How do we participate with in it, to help bring it about here and now? At the same time, which kingdom do we serve, participate in?

I strongly believe that Jesus provides a way - although it is a very hard way to follow. There are days I'm not so sure I'm up for it.

This being the Sunday following Thanksgiving and Black Friday and Cyber Monday - do we take time to be thankful for the examples of ways to follow the gospel? Who among us are intentionally living with less that other might live with more (and thus gifting the world)? How does sustainably harvesting fish, for instance, fit into the Kingdom?

"Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as in heaven ..."

May it be so.

Blessed Be,

Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment