Monday, March 28, 2011

Drawing and Writing Poems to See

Phil Cousineau in his book, The Art of Pilgrimage, talks about the importance of seeing, of truly looking with your own eyes, as a way of soulful travel.
Spring has sprung. And I am finding myself anxious to sail some more. Sailing has always been soulful work, and joy, for me. So when I stumbled upon Cousineau's book I immediately became interested. For pilgrimage is soulful travel.
Here is what he says about drawing as a tool of the pilgrim:
Art critic Robert Hughes reminds us that in the nineteenth century, "Every educated person drew as a matter of course. ... Drawing was an ordinary form of speech, used as a pastime or aide-memoire, without pretensions to ' high' art. Nevertheless, this general graphic literacy was the compost from which the greatest artists of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were able to grow: Degas, Eakins, Picasso, Matisse. It was gradually abolished by the mass camera market." ... The question of the day is: Does the average person see as well with the camera as with a pencil in hand? (102, 103)
And again what he relates regarding writing poems as a way to become aware of what is happening within and around us.
For one friend who had difficulty remembering details from his travels, I suggested he take on the task of writing a poem every day during his journey abroad. The daily task proved impossible for him, so he decided to focus his attention on a one-week stretch through Paris, Prague, and Florence. To this day, his memories of that time are the fondest of all his travels because, as he told me, "when everything is a possible poem, the world is suddenly far more interesting." (111)
I think this year I'll add a pad and pencil to my boating kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment