Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday Ponderings

At times I find myself saying a few words at Ash Wednesday Services - at other times, I don't. This is one of those times. (The Order of Service for an Ash Wednesday Service follows as a separate posting.)

When I drive by billboards I can't help but turn and read them, especially those that churches put up. Some of them bring me a chuckle (like "Patience is a virtue with a lot of wait" or "Treat yourself to one of our Sundays"), some of them find me saying "Amen!" to the sentiment, and others have me groaning theologically. Part of my problem is that ever sense I've learned to read, I read everything I see. I can't help it. 

The one that caught me this week however was a sign that said: "Humility is how we denounce temptation." While I might phrase this differently, it struck me as being very appropriate for Ash Wednesday and for the 1st Sunday of Lent in which we read about Jesus' Temptations in the Wilderness (if following the Revised Common Lectionary).

Ash Wednesday as always struck me as one of humbleness. We are remembering our origins, and the blessings that come from that. After all, God formed us from the dust of the earth, and called us blessed. Even if we haven't always lived that way.

The postings of late have been rather academic is some ways. And yet they also hit home for me. How about for you? I find them challenging. I know that I am no where near living a fully just lifestyle. I'd love to give up a car, for instance, but the commute between boat and bread job is just too far right now to do so. I do, however, find these readings to challenge me to think in more creative ways. Ways that benefit not only myself, and those immediately around me, but those across the globe, as well as the globe. Together we can make a difference in how the Kingdom of God is realized here and now.

Traditionally Lent has been a time of giving something up. I'd rather be pro- something rather than anti- something. So rather than giving up sugar, for example, I'd rather be for eating more healthfully. One of my colleagues announced on facebook that he was thinking about giving up his car for Lent. Immediately he got feedback from someone who had given up her car a number of years ago. I think our greatest asset is one another. I'm going to strive to eat lower on the food chain this Lent, while also being intentional about community. How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment